Monday 19 December 2016

Shibuya: Beyond its Famous Crossing

D47 Design Travel Store
When you think of Shibuya, I’m sure the Shibuya crossing, Hachiko statue and 109 building comes to mind. Now, let me share with you some other lesser-known attractions that are well worth a visit, especially for couples.

Unlike the famous sightseeing spots, these recommendations are further away from Shibuya station. Trust me, the further you travel away, the more you can discover unique and wonderful spots. If you like to walk, great! If not, taking the bus or taxi are options.

1. D47 Design Travel Store

One of my favourite shops is D47 Design Travel Store – it’s a one-stop shopping destination for all things Japan. After all, ‘47’ stands for the 47 prefectures in Japan.

The store curates traditional and modern products that are unique to the different prefectures across Japan. I am a fan of the artisanal goods available here. You’ll find hand-carved birch mugs, tableware, cookware and accessories that are skillfully created by Japanese craftsmen. Even if I don’t buy anything, I like to admire the handicraft of the skilled masters.

On the same floor, the D47 Museum features items from the different prefectures. I learnt about the production process of traditional items such as iron vases and wooden bowls there. There is also a restaurant called ‘D47 restaurant’, where you can eat local specialty foods from the various prefectures.

D47 is a great place for couples to stock up on gifts for their families back home. Even better, you can get a bird’s eye view of frenzied Tokyo because the store is located on the eighth floor of Hikarie, a well-known department store in Shibuya.

d47 design travel store
8F Shibuya Hikarie, 2-21-1 Shibuya, Tokyo, 150-8510, Japan
Website

2. Mominoki House

Tired from exploring Shibuya? I recommend taking a footbath to relax your feet. Shibuya is not a typical Onsen town, but Mominoki House will pleasantly surprise you.

For 1,080 yen, you can enjoy a footbath counter-style. The session also includes a drink. Sitting along the counter, you can soak your tired feet in hot water while sipping on aromatic herb tea such as Rose Hip tea. I really enjoyed catching up with my husband during this quiet time.

Mominoki House is located on the eighth floor of a building, mid-way along Dogenzaka slope, which extends from the Shibuya Crossing. As the counter footbath is against a window, it’s a perfect spot to people watch.

I like how it’s also convenient to visit Mominoki House – they provide clothes if I’m not dressed appropriately (when I’m in long pants).

Besides the footbath, you can also enjoy a 5-minute back, neck and shoulder massage for an additional 500 yen. I often do this add-on service in winter when the weather is cold and my muscles become stiff. Giving those muscles a light massage makes me feel more rejuvenated.

Lastly, you can also do a full body massage here. I usually do this before the footbath and always end up falling asleep during the massage!

Mominoki House
7F/8F Dogenzaka Kuratosu Bldg, 2-28-3, Dogenzaka, Shibuya, Tokyo, 150-0043, Japan
Website

3. Cosmo Planetarium Shibuya

We Japanese love spending time at Cosmo Planetarium Shibuya. Even though it’s located inside the Shibuya Central Center, it is easy to spot it because of the unique dome-shaped structure above the center. The Planetarium is inside this dome.

Why do we love the Planetarium so much? As urbanites, we don’t get the chance to see stars in Tokyo (except in winter), but we can do it here without having to leave the city. The planetarium does a very realistic simulation of space, complete with soothing ‘healing music’ playing in the background.

You only need to pay 600 yen to enter. It was a romantic experience for my husband and I, just relaxing on the reclining chairs and admiring the stars together. There are 2 types of reclining chairs – one that rotates and one that does not. Since there are only 120 seats available and it’s free seating, it’s best you get here earlier to get yourself a seat that is rotatable. I promise you will feel rejuvenated after the whole experience. It’s so comfortable that I almost fell asleep.

One last thing: you can also learn about the wonders of space, but only if you understand Japanese as there are no English explanations.

Cosme Planetarium
Shibuya Cultural Center Owada, 23-21 Sakuragaokacho, Shibuya, Tokyo, 150-0031, Japan
Website

4. Shinsen Endo Risaburo

Shinsen Endo Risaburou is a restaurant that’s perfect for date nights. Think wine and delicious food! The Italian restaurant is one of the charming eateries at Shinsen Station, one stop away from Shibuya or a 15-minute walk from Shibuya so it’s pretty easy to get to.

Rows and rows of wine bottles are displayed on the walls of the restaurant – I think it makes quite a beautiful photo. There are so many different kinds of wines to choose from, I always have a hard time deciding which wine to try!

I also like how I can choose from three different sizes of wine vessels – tasting (75cc), glass (120cc), decanter (375cc). It makes tasting different wines a lot easier!

Each glass costs about 750 to 1,700 yen.

Now, about the cuisine. The food here is refined, reflecting the passion and skill of the chef. During my previous visit, I had the duck confit (2,200 yen), while my husband had the roast lamb (2,900 yen) for our mains. Don’t forget to share a platter of appetizers before your main course. We had the platter, which included parma prosciutto, white liver mousse and cheese and an assortment of bread.

Foodies will love it at Shinsen Endo Risaburou – savoring wine and beautifully plated food in this elegant environment is heaven!

Shinsen Endo Risaburo
1F Wine Apartment, 11-9 Shinsencho, Shibuya, Tokyo, 150-0045, Japan
Website

5. Nabeshima Shoto Park

Nabehima Shoto Park is popular among the Japanese upper-class. Many well-to-do families love the park because it’s still in Shibuya but in the tranquil Shoto residential area. The park has been this peaceful since the Edo period.

I always see mothers picking their toddlers from the kindergarten, residents enjoying their bento outdoors, grandparents taking an evening stroll and others just sipping coffee. Life here seems worry-free, slow-paced and extremely blissful.
I like to watch the wheels of the watermill in the park turn. It is surprisingly therapeutic and makes me forget about the busyness of life. My husband and I sometimes come for a quiet meal at one of the cafes around the area.

I also like to come to the park especially during the rainy season as I can see hydrangeas beginning to bloom. They add such a beautiful pop of color to the gloomy weather. In other seasons, I also enjoy the view of cherry blossoms and autumn foliage.

So while Nabeshima Shoto Park is not your regular sightseeing spot, it’s worth a visit to check out the simpler and quieter side of Shibuya.

Nabeshima Shoto Park
2-10-7 Shoto, Shibuya, Tokyo, 150-0046, Japan
Website

No comments:

Post a Comment