Wednesday 30 December 2015

Castlereagh Boutique Hotel - the elegant choice in the heart of Sydney

I recently discovered the Castlereagh Boutique Hotel located in Castlereagh Street in the heart of the Sydney CBD. I have often walked along Castlereagh Street on my trips to Sydney, but until my recent stay, I had not realised that this boutique hotel was located behind its handsome sandstone frontage and stunning Art Deco architecture.

Once I walked inside the front doors of the Castlereagh Boutique Hotel I was struck by the ornate reception lobby and the Reagh Public Bar. The welcoming staff soon checked me into my room on the 10th floor which was accessed by one of the 3 key operated lifts.

The staff were very friendly and helpful in all their dealings with me and made me feel at home during my stay.

The Castlereagh Boutique Hotel is an elegantly restored, heritage-listed property that was built in 1926 for the NSW Masonic Club. It took 2 years to build and was opened in September 1927. I found it interesting that it was the first reinforced concrete building built in Sydney and at the time of construction it was the tallest building in Sydney, standing 12 floors high. The building was heritage listed in 1980.

Original features in the Castlereagh Boutique Hotel include a library, ballroom, billiard and card rooms, the main bar, lodgings and the magnificent Grand Dining Room. During my stay, I was privileged to be taken on a guided tour to see all these areas. I was impressed to see the charm of this grand building. What stood out for me at me during my stay at the Castlereagh Boutique Hotel was the elegant decor and luxurious furnishings in my room and in the public areas.

An extensive restoration and refurbishment of the building was undertaken in the 1990’s, with the addition of ensuite bathrooms to all the guest bedrooms. The Grand Dining Room was restored to recapture the charm and elegance of its original splendour.  Until recently only Masonic Club members could stay there, but since becoming part of the Choice Hotels group anyone can stay there. My mother-in-law told me that her uncle played billiards at the Club on a regular basis during his lunch breaks many years ago.

The Castlereagh Boutique Hotel has 82 deluxe double, queen and executive suites and standard single twin, double, and queen rooms. Adjoining family rooms are also available.

My deluxe queen room was a gorgeous room with a comfortable queen bed fitted with high-quality linen, small table, chairs and wardrobe. For entertainment, there was a flat screen teletext television, with free-to-air and Foxtel channels and free Wi-Fi internet access for my laptop computer I had with me. The room was air-conditioned and had a clock radio, mini bar, and tea & coffee making facilities. A new addition to the room was a gleaming white ensuite bathroom with a bath and shower (with large shower head), vanity, mirror, toilet and a good complimentary range of quality toiletries.

I was impressed with the cleanliness of the room - no dust or scuff marks anywhere in the bedroom or ensuite. I liked the blue and gold carpet, but was not too fussed with the colour of the walls. However, I learnt that all rooms are in the process of being freshly painted with a more eye-pleasing colour. My room was at the front of the building with little traffic noise to be heard. From my window I could see the trees in Hyde Park through a gap in the office towers between Castlereagh Street and Elizabeth Street.

The Castlereagh Boutique Hotel has a variety of public bars and dining areas. These are not only open for hotel guests, but also for casual visitors who can drop in for a meal or drink.

Each morning I enjoyed a buffet breakfast in the elegant surroundings of the Cello’s Restaurant. There was a good selection of cereals, fresh fruit sticks, yoghurt, fruit juice, tea & coffee bread, pastries, and hot dishes of bacon, scrambled eggs, tomatoes and hash browns. Breakfast is served daily from 7am to 9.30am. See the breakfast menu here - BREAKFAST

The Cello's Restaurant, or Grand Dining Room, is located on the 4th Floor and is one of the last of its kind. The decor of this heritage-listed room is amazing. It has been elegantly restored in exact detail to its original 1920′s decor and is a remarkable example of period architecture. The majestic surroundings make this Sydney's finest dining room. The ornate gold leaf decorations adorning the walls and the original plastering kept intact make dining here a pleasure – a memorable indulgence in true opulence and elegance. There is even the original Steinway grand piano from 1927 in the Restaurant, which my wife, a piano teacher, would love to play. If you happen to be there on a Friday you can enjoy live piano/vocalist, string musicians or jazz. They rotate the performers for variety, so there is always something to drop in to hear on a Friday night to relax after a working week.

Cello's offers a fine A La Carte food selection. Lunch is served Wednesday to Friday from 12 noon – 3pm. See the lunch menu here - LUNCH

The Castlereagh Lounge is located on the 2nd Floor and offers a Bistro Menu of main meals and morning & afternoon tea.  It is open Monday to Friday from 10.30m to 8.30pm and each Saturday 12noon to 8.30pm. To see the menu click here -  MENU

The Reagh Public Bar is located on the ground floor behind the Foyer. It serves chilled beer & wines and great counter food in an intimate atmosphere It is open Wednesday to Friday from 12 noon - 8.30pm. See the Reagh Bar menu here - BAR MENU

The Castlereagh Boutique Hotel is the perfect venue for business events, conferences, weddings and specials functions. They offer a variety of venues including the Grand Dining Room, the intimate and private Adam Room and a range of meeting facilities.

The location of the Castlereagh Boutique Hotel is ideal as it is in the heart of Sydney's commercial, retail and entertainment centres. It is a short walk to the Pitt Street Mall and its numerous shops and department stores and to the theatre I attended. If travelling by train it is just a short walk from Town Hall Station or Museum Station. If travelling by car there are car parking arrangements with the nearby Hilton Hotel.

The Castlereagh Boutique Hotel is the ideal choice to stay when visiting Sydney for a business or pleasure trip. Whether you stay a night or a week you can relax in comfort and feel right at home in its elegant surroundings.

Castlereagh Boutique Hotel

Address: 169 Castlereagh Street, Sydney 2000, Australia
Phone: 61 2 9284 1000 or Freecall 1800 801 576 (Australia only)
Fax: 61 2 9284 1045
Email: reservations@thecastlereagh.com.au
Postal Address: PO Box A1160, Sydney South 1235, Australia
Website: http://www.thecastlereagh.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment